Thursday, January 1, 2009

Reducing electricity usage

We installed an old-timey wood stove just before Christmas. I can't wait to see how much it will reduce our electric bill as we were using a 220 electric heater and it didn't even really heat the house but we sure couldn't afford another one.
This is kinda what our wood stove looks like:
wood stove Pictures, Images and Photos
Well, ours isn't quite that messy.

I'll be glad when I can get a digital camera so I can post my pics on here!

We also installed hooks in the ceiling on one side of the stove to hang clothes on to dry so the dryer usage has gone down alot as well. I always hang clothes out when I can. I love to see clothes hanging on the line and I really love how they smell so fresh and clean! But when it's cold, my fingers just about freeze off handling them wet clothes!

Laundry Pictures, Images and Photos

So, this is what's working for us right now. We're talking about purchasing ceiling fans for every room before summer to see how long we can keep the air conditioner off, too.

No comments: